Passport renewal online is a great facility given by our government for save your time, efforts and money while renewing your passport. The procedure of renewal of passport is quite simple. Read this post thoroughly to know how to renew your expired passport online easily. After an elaborate post on how to apply for passport, this one is to provide all info on its re-issue. You can also re-issue your passport in case if the pages are exhausted. Follow step by step procedure online and get it renewed. We have also listed here all documents you will have to submit for online passport renewal.
Why Do You Need To Renew Your Passport?
If you plan on travelling abroad, a passport is a mandatory document you need to carry. But you need not apply for a passport only when you plan on travelling, anyone can get a passport at any time provided they produce the necessary documentation and details. A passport doesn’t guarantee entry into any country, but is a required document to go abroad. Furthermore, a passport in India is valid only for 10 years after that passport renewal is required before or when it expires. A passport is also widely accepted proof of identification, address and age. Having a passport is extremely useful and comes in handy at many points in life.
Documents Required For Passport Renewal Online
The Passport Seva Kendra website has a Document Advisor for renewal of passport. You need to select your details for renew and a list of documents required will be generated. You must ensure you carry a copy of your online application. This document is mandatory for online passport application. You will need to carry the following documents:
- Original old Passport.
- Self attested copy of the first two and last two pages.
- Self attested copy of the ECR/Non-ECR page.
- Self attested copy of the page of observation, if any, made by Passport Issuing Authority.
- Self attested copy of the validity extension page, if any, in respect of short validity passport.
- Proof of documents which eliminate the cause of issuance of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
How to Renew Passport?
Step 1 – Registering at Passport Seva Website
- Visit the passport seva official site.
- Give a click on New User, Register now?
- Fill up the details for registration and create your login id.
- Select the nearest passport office.
- Once you fill up, click on button register.
- Your login id is now created at the passport seva site.
Step 2 – Submit Application Form for Passport Renewal Online
- Return to the site of passport seva.
- Now give a click on button of existing user / login.
- Login and click on Continue.
- Select Reissue of Passport at the very first option Applying for.
- Select Tatkal or Normal way. Click on Next to proceed further.
- It is not necessary that you should fill up the form online. You can download the form, fill it up later and upload it.
- You will also have to fill up your existing or expired passport details. Details need will include old passport no., date and place of issue and date of expiry.
- Click on Submit button after filling up the entire form.
- Now you will be redirected to earlier page. You will see your submitted/saved passport applications. Click on View button to see it.
Step 3 – Pay and Book an Appointment with PSK
- Next to View Saved/ Submitted Applications, find Pay and Schedule Appointment button.
- Click on Pay and Schedule Appointment.
- Select Online Payment and follow Next.
- List of all Passport Seva Kendras near your locality will be displayed. Available time and date for appointment will also be displayed along it.
- Select PSK. Key in the captcha code and click on Next.
- Click on Pay and Book Appointment. You will reach at the payment gateway.
- Finish the online payment procedure and get back to the main page.
- You will see Appointment Confirmation. Details of your appointment will be shown there.
- Print out the receipt by clicking on Print Application Receipt.
Purpose of Renewal Of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
- Short Validity Passports (SVP) are issued in certain cases such as the following:
- Students appearing for exams like SAT, TOEFL, et cetera
- Indians residing abroad who wish to travel to India
- Non-delivery of passport due to loss in transit
- Applicant has a criminal case is pending in a court
Validity of Renewal of Short Validity Passport(SVP)
The validity of renewal of SVPs depends on the RPO/Assistant Passport Officer’s discretion. The maximum validity granted will be 10 years.
Renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
The passport renewal process is quite simple for SVP. One can visit the Passport Seva Kendra office and make an application. These applicants can pay cash at the office.
Fees for Renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP)
There are no passport renewal fee associated with Renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP). As there is no new booklet being issued, the passport renewal procedure is free.
Difference Between Renewal And Re-Issue
- Renewal – Renewal of your passport is in the event that you have a passport that was issued for a short validity that could be from 1 to 5 years, and you now need to extend the validity of the passport up to the full 10 years. Under renewal, you need to carry your old passport. The number will remain the same, only the validity will be changed. The same old passport will be returned to you as the renewed passport.
- Re-issue – There is much confusion about the two terms when it comes to passports. To make it simple, a reissue of passport is when you need a completely new passport. You will receive a new booklet and a new passport number. Re-issue is commonly mistaken for renewal even at the passport offices. Passports are re-issued under the following circumstances:
- Expired or about to expire passport.
- Lost passport
- Stolen Passport
- Exhaustion of pages
- Damaged or soiled passports
- Change in personal details
Passport Renewal Form
Passport renewal form is same as form for issue of fresh passport. You have to select the option of Re-issue instead of fresh passport.
- Click here to download form for application for renewal of passport
Applicants can download form from the official site of passport seva. It is available in pdf format which can also be filled offline and saved. You can upload your saved filled in form for passport renewal online later.
Passport application for fresh passport and re-issue of passport follows same online procedure. All you have to start with the application is to create login id. Passport seva website offers many other useful online facilities. Once you apply for online passport renewal, you can know passport tracking and status of your passport. This will display status of your passport application. In case, if you are in a hurry, you can get a tatkal passport as well. Learn how to get tatkal passport quickly.You can start tracking your passport after at least 7 days from date of your application. Visit us for more useful instructions and information on passport renewal online and fresh application.
Passport Renewal FAQs
- What will the validity of my passport be after renewal?The validity of passport would be decided by Assistant Passport Officer /RPO. The maximum validity granted is 10 years.
- Do I require a passport agent to renew my passport?Currently, the system is clear and transparent, so you do not need an agent. You can complete the process by yourself. If the applicant is illiterate or requires an agent’s help, then they can approach an agent.
- How will I receive my renewed passport?For passport renewal, you will not receive a new booklet. The validity mentioned on the passport will be changed. The same booklet will be handed back to you.
- Do I have to submit my original documents or will a copy suffice?You are required to carry your original documents to the passport office for your appointment. You need to only submit self-attested copies of your documents. Your originals will be used for verification and given back to you.
- My application form has a mistake. How do I correct it?You cannot make corrections to your form online once it is submitted. You can visit the Passport Seva Kendra. Ask the Citizen Service Executive to make the change.
- What are the charges for renewing my passport?If you are renewing your passport, meaning you are extending the validity on your existing passport, there are no charges.