What to do if You have Lost your PAN Card – Precautions to take
What measures should anyone take when lost PAN card – PAN Card frauds in India
Every citizen of India is aware of the importance of a PAN card. Whether you work in a service sector or own your company, a PAN card is something you absolutely must have. Paying taxes is an important duty of every citizen. If you live in India and earn a handsome amount you are eligible to pay taxes.
The thought of getting a copy government archive evokes dreams of long hold up and various bothers. Be that as it may, the whole process has been totally rearranged by the INCOME TAX division. You can now reapply and get the copy duplicate of your PAN card in a couple of basic strides without experiencing a considerable measure of bothers
Most citizens have their PAN cards in place, but in case you have misplaced yours follow the steps below and your query will be solved in no time.
1) First thing you do after losing your PAN card is click on this link. https://www.tin-nsdl.com/download/pan/PAN-CR-FORM.pdf and download the form available. Please remember this is a separate form, unlike the one you had filled the first time
2) Apart from your basic details this form will also ask you to fill in details about your pan card. If you have a photocopy of your lost PAN card, then like it. If not you can click on this link and obtain all the information related to your lost document. https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/portal/knowpan.do
3) On the left hand corner your will see an option called PAN/TAN, click on it and it will take you to the above image. Fill in your basic details. You will see the status of your card and your PAN card number. Now that you have all your PAN card information you can proceed further.
4) Now fill the form you downloaded in the first step. Attach a passport sized photograph with half your signature on the photograph and the other half on the form. Make sure you fill in all the details in black pen and in bold letters. It is important to be clear with information you provide.
5) Along with cash or Demand Draft of Rs. 96 (Inclusive of Taxes) you can submit the form to your nearest TIN centre. To learn more about TIN centres near your home click on https://www.tin-nsdl.com/pan.php this link.
Once the form is submitted click on the link below to check the status of the same. You can track the status of your PAN card and make sure it reaches you on time.
By following the above steps your PAN card will reach the registered address in a few weeks.
Apply for a new PAN card offline
- In case the TIN centre is near your place you can just drop in and collect the form from there. The form looks similar to the one you previously filled. Only this one has ‘REQUIRED FOR NEW PAN CARD/CORRECTION OF CARD’ written on top.
- Fill in the form and pay Rs.96 to the official at the desk. All the details including the PAN card number remain the same.
- Once you have followed the above steps, wait for a few weeks and the new PAN card will arrive at your doorstep.
PAN Card Fraud
PAN card fraud can happen to anyone. It usually comes to notice when there is some kind of financial transaction that has taken place without your knowledge. You may think it impossible but there are fraudulent individuals who carry out such illegal activities. A PAN card is an official document and can be misused by anyone.
In case something like that happens to you, you need to go through a number of long and tedious steps in order to correct it. Proving that the transaction was not done by you can be a highly time consuming task. You need to have concrete evidence that shows the crime that has been committed using your card. Only when the cops are convinced will there be some action taken. Gathering proof is a task.
So how do you avoid such a mishap?
- 1) First of all DO NOT use your PAN card casually.
- 2) If you want to show an ID proof use your drivers licence or any other document instead of a PAN card
- 3) Every time you submit a photocopy of your PAN card make sure it is signed by you.
- 4) Even if you find the slightest suspicious activity through your account, check it thoroughly and make sure you report it immediately.
- 5) Keep a track when and where you submit photocopies of your card.
Phonetic PAN as the name suggests, alerts government officials if there is a PAN card being issued by the same name. Often imposters use the documents of another person and try to create a PAN card for themselves. This is done for a number of reasons. The new Phonetic PAN allows officials to immediately track the imposter and generate a duplicate report. Only after the Assessing officer matches the Duplicate Report to the original Report and finds nothing fishy, he lets the procedure continue.
Since the government came out with Phonetic PAN a number of duplicate PAN card applications have been caught and sent back. Creating a fraudulent account is a serious crime. Strict actions are taken against people who try to mess with the law and think they can get away with it.
Losing your PAN card is a Problem
PAN card is one document which everyone needs to keep carefully. It is used for a number of purposes. Be it opening a DMAT account or procuring a landline number, PAN card is a document that will be required for it all, losing it can create a number of problems. Obviously no one loses their card on purpose. SO incase you have lost your card don’t feel sad about it. All you have to do is follow the above steps and procure a new card in no time.
You may refer some the PAN Card related topics for more knowledge on PAN card.
- Check PAN Card Status
- What is PAN Card
- PAN Card Form Download
- Download PAN Card Online
- PAN Card Application
- PAN Card Verification
- PAN Card Correction Form
- PAN Card Correction
- PAN Card Lost
- PAN Card Enquiry
- PAN Card Form 49A
- Apply for PAN Card